- Òmnium Cultural
- What we do
What whe do
Welcome to Òmnium Cultural
Òmnium Cultural is a community-wide, independent association working under the principle of its slogan “LANGUAGE, CULTURE, COUNTRY”. 20,000 voices from Catalan civil society, all speaking the same language, all sharing the same culture and all defending the recognition of Catalonia’s rights as a country.
It is organised into 27 local offices, grouped into 10 regions spread throughout Catalonia and working to achieve the organisation’s goals in the country’s towns and districts.
It is a point of reference, becoming involved in and taking positions with regard to the key issues of today affecting Catalan society. Òmnium also forms part of the Federació Llull, together with fellow organisations Acció Cultural del País Valencià (Valencia) and Obra Cultural Balear (the Balearic Islands), to ensure coordinated actions throughout the Catalan Countries.
- We work to promote and normalize the Catalan language, culture and identity.
- We create debate, becoming involved and taking positions with regard to the key issues of today affecting Catalan society.
- We organise workshops and conferences to promote discussion and shape opinion with regard to current issues.
- We organise the “Festival for Freedom”, the most popular civic event celebrated on 11 September, Catalonia’s National Day, held at Barcelona’s Arc de Triomf.
- We encourage social cohesion and the use of Catalan with our programmes “Volunteers for the language” and “Quedem?” (“Shall we meet?”)
- We organise Santa Llúcia Night, when we award the Sant Jordi Prize for novels and the Catalan Letters Lifetime Achievement Award.
- We encourage discussion on education-related issues and work on promoting and spreading Catalan in schools via projects such as Networked Schools, the Sambori-Òmnium Prize and the publication of Escola Catalana (Catalan School), produced by Òmnium for more than 40 years.